Thursday, July 2, 2009

Immunizations

I had an experience afew weeks ago that I have been thinking about ever since.

I went to see a friend who is an autism sibling like me who had a new baby, about one month old. That little guy was such a doll, and so aware. He could tell that someone that was not mom or dad was holding him, but he decided he could tolerate me after afew minutes. I felt such a connection with the little guy, with the exception of weight and looks, he was just like my little boy at that age... behaved in the same ways. I was so excited I told my husband all about him when I got home. Then he asked me, "Have they been doing immunizations?" And that was all it took for me to sit on my couch and cry for awhile. My husband understood what was wrong and just lovingly sat there with me.

I've spoken before about how I sometimes think about things I would have done differently as a parent in my Mother's Day post. Immunizations is one of those things. I wish I had not been so unaware. Maybe my son would have had less symptoms and had been able to enjoy life more from an early age if I had waited and watched him for symptoms first, waited for safer immunizations, or simply avoided immunizations all together.

Eli has been in biochemical intervention for one year this month. Biochemical intervention has made a difference, even though we can't afford even half the therapies we wold like to have him in. None of his therapies are covered by insurance, and his diet and supplements are hard for us to keep up with. Despite this, Eli can interact in ways he couldn't before, and finds happiness in things he didn't before. (During the drafting of this post he signed "dance" along with a verbal approximation and he grabbed my hands and we danced around the living room!)Previous to Eli seeing a DAN! doctor, his father and I read "Changing the Course of Autism" by Dr. Bryan Jepson. The experience of reading this book was amazing. It is such a compilation of research. It explained to me things that I saw going on with my son and my brother, and the autism community in general, and I was instantly converted.

Now understanding the connection between genetics and autism, and also immunizations and autism due in part to heavy metals, I am appalled to admit that Eli has had the "full schedule" of shots up until the age of 24 months, flu shots, plus he was enrolled in one immunization study. (The doctor, who had children of his own, said that the study was one he would do, and I was way too trusting back then.) My son now has an immunization waiver which allows him to attend public school.

To all the people reading this thinking, "this girl is off her rocker," I want to tell you something: I was once you. Consider the big business that has been built around the immunization program, and what the business implications may be to said big business if each child in the country had one less mercury infused immunization. Consider the government all these years in supporting this big business by requiring children to have a full schedule of immunizations in order to go to school. Then consider that the CDC can't seem to recognize the evidence right in front of them. So I put it to you, I am not a professional after all. Tell me, do these dots deserve to be connected?

Here's an interesting video of CDC accidentally admitting there is a link between autism and immunizations. (I am indebted to Ginger's blog, www.advenduresinautism.blogspot.com for this link.)



Parents, please educate yourselves. Let your mother/father instincts guide you.




"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief [. . .] of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense."
Elizabeth Bennett in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

2 comments:

Middletonfamily said...

This is kind of a random comment since you don't know me. I saw your blog from Jessie's so we must be in the Provo 6th ward together. My name is Tina and I was moved by your post today and your blog.
I only know a small amount about Autism, but I appreciate what you said about Mothers going with their gut feeling regarding their children.
Needless to say I would love to or should say I have been looking to get involved with the fight for autism any way I can. So I thought I would comment on your blog.
I know I don't know you but just from reading your blog I think you are an amazing mom. Thanks for sharing your story!

Fulkerson Clan said...

every few months when my kids need to be immunized again, i agonize over it. i asked my pediatrician once if he had ever had a child immunized who on the next visit was a completely different child. he said he hadn't, he said he'd only seen complications from kids not being immunized. but still, i wonder. with my 3rd baby almost here, i've decided at least not to let them give him the hep B shot until he's 2 mo. old instead of at birth. and i'll also forgo the rotovirus vaccine all together (i'm fairly certain that vaccine caused justin's skin virus we've dealt with for a year). do you know if they have stopped using thermasol in the vaccines? do you think if they took the mercury out that you'd do vaccinations? you should do another post with more of your findings!