Thanks to very prolific plants in my garden, I have been watching a pile of zucchini grow on my kitchen counter over the last two days. Tonight I set out to find a remedy. I currently have this library book called "The Classic Zucchini Cookbook" by Nancy Ralston, Marynor Jordan, and Andrea Chesman. I may need to purchase this book and keep it forever. I discovered this way easy sweet little starter dish that I had tonight next to a baked potato. The version here has been modified, of course, to fit our special diet and tastes. I have cut out the measurements, too, because I didn't use them. I am gaining a whole new appreciation for zucchini.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
medium sized zucchini or summer squash, sliced into rounds about 1/4 inch thick or a bit thicker.
well seasoned pizza sauce (One of my favorites is muir glen organic pizza sauce.)
finely grated cheese alternative (I use vegan gourmet brand, it is a soy cheese that is casein free.)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Brush both sides of zucchini slices with oil and arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Roast for 7 minutes, or until slices are just tender when pierced with fork.
4. In small bowl, stir grated cheese alternative into pizza sauce.
5. Spread spoonful of sauce on each zucchini slice. Return baking sheet to oven and roast until sauce is heated through, 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve hot. :)