Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sustainable Christmas Gifts for Kids

I am getting way excited about the gifts I've gotten for the kids, especially the ones that were "found." To me it gives the gifts more meaning because this practice is one way that we can live a more sustainable lifestyle. Some of the items we are gifting were passed our way and we have been saving for the occasion. Some of them we "rescued" from the thrift store, and I still need to clean them up and add the finishing touches for Christmas morning. My kids are going to be thrilled! I hope to post pictures of some of those in posts to come, but first, here is my current sustainable gift I have ready to give.

This little gal is a 2004 Cabbage Patch Kid that I rescued some weeks ago. Although in great shape, when rescued her, she was only wearing a bow in her hair and an undershirt. I've worked on her hair and made her a dress from an old shirt that I thought had a cute print, (and also some pleats that I integrated into the bodice.)

I save old fabrics that come my way, as well as old ripped or stained clothing that cannot be donated. They all go in boxes, and when I want to make something, I just dig through the boxes. I always find what I need. I love the reconstructing process. Much to my husband's dismay, the boxes of fabric are always floating around in inconvenient places, but he does always support me in my recycling ways. My next project will be to find a better way to organize the stuff.

Even though the little girl this is going to won't care, I decided that she reminds me of a young Emma Woodhouse from the Jane Austen novel. She will love her Emma!

2 comments:

KirstenM said...

I wish I was handy with the sewing machine. Year by year I am getting more crafty, but sewing is just not my thing (yet) - and yet I still have old dresses and shirts put aside where I really like the fabric, "just in case"...

This would be a lovely post for my Simple Season Goodness linky list over at SustainableSuburbia.net. I'd love you to come add it :)

http://sustainablesuburbia.net/simple-seasonal-goodness-celebrating-advent-with-a-difference/

Celeste Jean said...

Thank you Kirsten. It is kind of you to include me. :)